5 Top Tips on Sticking to Your New Year's Resolutions
Updated: Sep 4, 2019
What are your New Year’s Resolutions for 2019?
I have to say, I am not a big fan of the ‘New Year, New You’ style campaigns. Partly because I’m of the view that you’re great as you are but there is also the implication that you need to be someone better. I wonder how much better people would feel about themselves if they looked at what was already great about them? I’m also of the view that a cold, wet, dark January when you’re recovering financially from Christmas is a tough time to be feeling positive and motivated! We’ve all been there haven’t we? This year I’m going to get fit / lose weight / get a new job! I’m going to start running every day and be committed to it everyday rain or shine! Or, I’m going to be brave and go for that new job I know I deserve!
You might do brilliantly for the first few days or weeks and if that’s you, seriously well done! But most of us tend to fall at the first few hurdles and revert to familiar patterns & behaviours. It’s often to do with mindset and not having worked on self-belief as well as not having a benefit led goal or a detailed & specific goal.
I am a big fan of personal growth, development, awareness and building self-worth. It’s this type of work that helps you stay motivated, focused and committed to your resolutions and it all starts with mindset. We often set out in a great mindset, feeling really positive, but it quite often fades away doesn’t it? Achieving your dreams is never easy – if you want something you’ve never had, you have to do something you’ve never done.
Including thinking differently – and that can feel uncomfortable, scary, overwhelming. This is often when motivation can dip, insecurities and lack of self-belief can rise and we give up.
So, here are some of my top tips on creating & maintaining the necessary mindset for your New Year’s Resolutions and goals:
1. SMART – make sure your goal is Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic and has a Timeframe
2. VISUALISE – see yourself having already achieved your goal. How does it feel? What is happening around you? What’s changed?
3. BENEFITS – list all the benefits you & others around you will experience
4. STEPS – break your goal down into weekly steps and focus on the outcome of those mini- goals each week.
5. REWARD – reward each step you achieve and celebrate your successes!
Reward and celebration can have a huge impact on motivation and keeping you focused. It’s so important to reward effort along the way as well as achieving the final goal. Here are some non-food / alcohol related suggestions:
1. Time (to do whatever you like!)
2. A £5 scratch card
3. Invite friends over for a clothes swap party
4. Read a magazine
5. Book a massage
NEW FOR 2019 FREE PERSONAL DEVELOPMENT PROGRAMME!
If you’re ready to change your job or you want to improve your health or some other part of your life but you can’t afford to invest in a Coach, then my NEW online video programme is perfect for you. I’ve created a 9-Step programme and the first 5 steps are absolutely FREE!
I’m so passionate about helping people believe their hopes & dreams can come true that I’m happy to share my tools with you for free. There will be an option at the end of the programme to buy the advanced stage taking you to the next level, but there is no obligation to do so.
Just click on the image above and it will take you to the sign up page.
You will get:
- 5 professional coaching videos & accompanying exercises
- Learn how to create a positive mindset
- Understand what your values are & how to apply them
- Recognise & overcome obstacles
- Create a plan to achieve your goals!
Wishing you a very Happy New Year and all you want for 2019!
PS. Never miss a Blog, special offer or exciting news and sign up to my newsletter Today!